Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Former Blue Gets The Axe

Millwall have just parted company with former City defender Willie Donachie, where he had been in charge for just over a year.

Willie spent eleven seasons at Maine Road between 1970 and 1980 making a total of 436 appearances for City. He was also a regular for Scotland and will hate me for mentioning that infamous own goal from a suicidal back pass in the 1978 Home International against Wales in the final few minutes of the game that leveled the scores; unfortunately something for which Willie will always be remembered.

Willie had quite an impressive record as an assistant manager with stints at Oldham, Everton, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Millwall, but it could be a case that he turns out to be one of those great assistants that never quite makes it as the boss - a bit like Brian Kidd and Steve Wigley.

With the recent and sudden departure of Hans Backe there is a gap in City's current backroom staff and maybe there's a role for Willie to play?

We wish him all the best.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the perils of being a football manager - you live or die by your results

Anonymous said...

Has Hans Backe gone for good or is he on compassionate leave ???

Anonymous said...

Are you serious when you describe Steve Wigley as a 'great assistant'?

Bluesology said...

No..... that was my deliberate mistake to see if anyone was paying attention - well done !

As for Backe, i think the official line is that he is on extended temporary leave, but a return does look unlikely

Anonymous said...

What a great full-back though. Pace and class. I think Willie was the first non-English player to come into the team after our All-English championship winning season, although I could be mistaken there. My recollection is that he wasn't a very big lad, but had massive heart. Good luck with whatever you do next old son, and the best wishes from all the City fans.

Bluesology said...

Well said Wigan Blue - he was a top player for us

Anonymous said...

Get him in! There is a lot to be said about experience. I remember him from the 70's and that infamous back pass.

A City fan as a kid (now Liverpool, sorry.) I was made up to see any City playing an international match. I was proud of Peter Barnes when he was picked for England and thought Dave Watson and Joe Corrigan deserved more caps. Hell, I even got excited about Gary Owen playing for the U-21's. Best of luck to Willie, I say, even if he did have a spell at Everton.

Anonymous said...

Is This Betting

Now Liverpool sorry? I bet you were City Till I Die in those days. Weak character. In all my life I've only seen one City fan go over to the scum and none of the local reds would drink with him after that!

Anonymous said...

I even had a maroon and sky blue bag for school. Some of the elephants (Everton fans)with long memories still rib me about my City affair.

Even made my Dad drive me over their in the 70's for a dire game against Everton.

Saw them a few times in recent years when I acquired unwanted season tickets. Enjoyed the days out boozing really.

There's some weird pubs around the new ground though.

Anonymous said...

Nothing weird about Mary Dee's or the Bradford (although as a Liverpool fan, your life expectancy would be about 30 seconds in either!)

Was relieved to hear that you were actually from Liverpool though. Can't knock that.