Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sad Loss Of A Legendary City Son



Very sad news yesterday afternoon of the death of legendary comedian and big City fan, Bernard Manning. He was 76.

Manning was in every sense a larger than life character and a love-hate figure; there was no middle ground.

I never did see him at the infamous Embassy Club, but I was lucky enough to see him perform at my local pub (now sadly a Majestic Wine store) in the late '90s, where despite poor health, he still managed to pull off one hell of a show in a venue that was completely packed out.

He took time out after that show to have a chat with myself and a blind friend of mine who had travelled up from Cornwall to see him. This was a side that Bernard's politically correct critics chose to ignore and his support of charities and help for local people was not widely reported.

Like so many controversial celebrities, in real life he was the opposite of his public persona and I found him to be a very charming and caring person.

Sadly at a time when all the news about City seems to be negative, we have more difficult news to take in.

Farewell and rest in peace Bernard, sadly your like will never be seen again - you were a legend

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP Bernard .... thanks for the laughs

Anonymous said...

RIP Racist, bigoted man.

Anonymous said...

He made us laugh, God will bless his soul

Anonymous said...

He'll probably be up there now cracking jokes with Charlie Williams. People forget that on stage, it was just an act. In his latter days he spent much of his shows talking about tolerance and getting on with people. He was a comedian, and one of the best. Good on you Bernard, we'll miss you!

Unknown said...

Top Man... who's charity work often went unnoticed...great performer in his era....and a blue to boot....you will be missed
Mitch - Georgia (USA) Blue

Anonymous said...

MARTYSE5 what an ignorant tool you are! Bernard Manning the comedian was just that.. a comedian. He had NO racial prejudice.. he took the mickey out of everybody. People who knew the real Bernard would tell you of his friendship for everybody irrespective of colour or creed, not to mention his huge donations to charitable causes. However, I suppose all this is lost upon a lily livered PC specimen like yourself.

Bluesology said...

Realist .... spot on !
Nearly all of the views I've read and heard on Radio this morning echo your sentiments

The Kara Sea said...

Can't say I'm sad. I hear what you're saying about his private persona being far removed from his public one, and I can't comment on that as I never met the man, but this coming the day after our Nedum was subjected to such horrendous, bigoted racist abuse in Holland is rather telling.

If Manning really believed in tolerance and multiculturalism, why didn't he promote it in his work? BBC News ran a clip of him last night where Caroline Aherne asked outright if he was a racist and he replied "Yes. Some people think they're English just cos they were born here - that's like a dog being born in a stable thinking it's a horse." Funny? Nah. Disturbing? Yes.

Anonymous said...

Kara Sea...
BBC News ran a clip.. BBC eh? Unbiased, well balanced BBC???

I saw that clip and I remember it first time round.. do you not think he was being a little tongue in cheek?

"Yes. Some people think they're English just cos they were born here - that's like a dog being born in a stable thinking it's a horse." Funny? Nah. Disturbing? Yes..... Why disturbing? I am from mixed race background myself but don't find it racist or disturbing.
As I said earlier, Bernard had NO RACIAL PREJUDICE..Everyboday was in the firing line... correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure he once said, "how can I possibly be a racist, when I'm half jewish, Half catholic and tell jokes about everybody".

Sometimes people only see what they want to see, or believe everything they are told. Some people used to think Warren Mitchell was a racist!!!!

Bluesology said...

He also said he was glad he wasn't gay as he couldn't stand the thought of being rejected by men as well as women :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Bernard would have been amused at the thought of a blind man coming to "see him"!

Anonymous said...

There was this Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman....sorry I'd better not get Racist...