Friday, May 04, 2007

Derby Tomorrow, But Does Anyone Care?

The Manchester derby is one of the premiere events in the football calendar, or at least it should be. It has served up many memorable encounters over the years with some memorable highs and lows for both clubs.

I should be looking forward to tomorrow's game with great anticipation, but instead I find myself having very little enthusiasm for what should be the high-point of our season.

The 2006-7 season has without doubt been one of the most miserable and un-enjoyable seasons for quite a while. The initial promise as a visionary manager shown by Pearce has long since evaporated and we have had to endure tedious home football watching a set of players who looked totally demotivated and clueless whose overall standard of play is worse than my lads U-11s team.

Unless we manage a goal tomorrow, we're likely to set an unenviable Premiership record of the lowest home goal total. It's been so long since we've scored, I've almost forgotten how to celebrate.

Other low points have included the Thatcher and Barton episodes where we have too many times this season featured on the back pages of the national press for all the wrong reasons.

Added to that the ongoing take-over soap opera and the almost complete disdain and contempt the current board seem to show to the fans, our Club is becoming the laughing stock of the Premiership, but it really isn't funny and it cannot go on.

I've renewed my season tickets for next season, but Christ knows why? I'm at the point now where unless there is a complete change at the club from top to bottom, I'm really going to struggle about getting excited about next year.

Obviously, I hope we beat United tomorrow and finish the season with a bit of a flourish, but am I alone in feeling as flat as this about the club I support?

To coin a phrase, "Am I really bovvered?", well at the moment probably not.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly. If the players cannot put on some sort of show tomorrow then I cannot see anything motivating them in the future. A takeover and wholesale clear out would be the only answer.

Anonymous said...

Can't help but think we're all feeling a bit too sorry for ourselves. There are plenty of clubs lining up to be "laughing stocks" - not just us. Sure we've had incidents (Thatcher and Barton) but other clubs have in the past as well. Fact is we're staying up, there will be changes in the summer with some going and some leaving (same as always) and with a bit of luck we'll have new owners.
I've also renewed and whilst I'm not loving it I'm not navel gazing either.
Get over it and support the team tomorrow.

Bluesology said...

I'm trying really hard, but it really is down to the club and players to enthuse and energise the fans. Just as well we're the best in the country !

Anonymous said...

We have every reason to feel sorry for ourselves we can only cheer up when goals are scored and we all know when the last time we had something to cheer about at home.

I have discovered we have a full team we can get rid of in the summer... here goes...
Weaver, D.Mills, Jordan, BARTON, Hamaan, Dabo, Trabelsi, Beasley, Sinclair, Corradi, Dickov.

I don't think any one of them would be missed. I am sure we have eleven players in the Academy who could perform better than that lot.

Bluesology said...

You forgot Sun Jihai and Samaras

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed Samaras will come good and Sun Jihal is the sort of utility player that most teams need.

Anonymous said...

p.s Sun Jihal also keeps the Chinese pennies coming in.

Citehboy said...

I have to say that was the most sterile, uninventive derby performance I have ever witnessed, against a United side that clearly were tired after their midweek Champions League exploits. People will talk about Vassell's missed penalty, but we all knew he would miss because he lacks confidence and his body language as he stepped-up reinforced this. Furthermore, in a home derby, starting with a 4-5-1 line up is not acceptable. 11 men in blue, led by a tactically inept manager, who didn't want to win. Shame on you. All of you. Losers. We're safe, but we're shit. Pearce out.

Bluesology said...

That's spooky, I've published a new article earlier today pretty much echoing your comments.... I guess it's a case of great minds thinking alike ;-)