Sunday, February 18, 2007

Just Two More Wins And We're There !

I'm just beginning to wonder whether, at last, this could be our year for the Cup?

Today's visit to Deepdale was not a journey many Premiership teams would have relished, and I'm sure most neutrals ( and perhaps some seasoned Blues), would not have been surprised if City had crashed out of the competition..... but we didn't !

Nugent's predicted goal came as expected, but perhaps for Preston it came a bit to early in the game, as it allowed City to re-group and attack. For a 21-year old, he sure looks old, but he is an obviously talented striker who I'd love to see in a City shirt.

City need a bit of credit for this win. For sure, we had to grind it out at times, but it was a steely performance, without ever being spectacular.... apart from Ball's and Ireland's goals.

I have to say that I thought Corradi was good today and really unlucky not to have scored. His workrate was of Vassell-like proportions and he took a lot of stick without much protection from Mike Riley. What a contrast to Samaras, who for 99% of the game was in-effective and just doesn't look up for a battle when leading the line. I know he got the (soft) goal, but a lucky deflection isn't really enough from a £6m striker and I'm looking forward to Mpenza's arrival.

I would have liked to have seen Sturridge have another run-out, and I'm surprised that Abdoun didn't even make the bench - he looks a much better prospect that the lightweight Beasley. I was also surprised to see Weaver back in goal and wonder whether that could be one of the final nails in the coffin for Isaksson - I hope not.

But what the hell, we've made it into the quarter finals and are only two games away from Wembley...or Cardiff...or wherever. I couldn't give a stuff where, as long as we make it.

It's going to be a nervy lunchtime tomorrow and it's a cliche I know, but give us a home draw for a change! I will be at Confession early tomorrow and praying for Chelsea v United, Spurs v Arsenal, City v Plymouth and I couldn't care about the other one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great win and fantastic support as usual

Anonymous said...

satisfied by the result.But why do we always have Barton taking the corners esp since they are not any good.

Bluesology said...

Good point.... Dead ball situations are not Joey's strong point to put it mildly - most go straight into the wall or sail miles over the bar. Time for Stephen Ireland to take over

Anonymous said...

City v Tottenham final ....payback time !

Anonymous said...

The boy Nugent reminds me so much of one Jon Macken, as for getting him into a City shirt it would be another expensive mistake, no thanks. The boy Sturridge would be a far better bet.